Due to the recent COVID-19 pandemic, grocery store shelves have experienced a diminished supply of staple ingredients. Go-to ingredients including flour, pastas and cereals have become practically non-existent. Coming up with meal ideas that differ from your normal routine can be quite difficult, especially when you want something quick and tasty, without all the fuss. We know the struggle! However, putting together a meal can be easier than you think. Here are some suggestions for some meals you can whip together with 5 ingredients or less and some tips for how to make them last longer.
Just because your favourite cereal may have been snatched off the grocery store shelf, doesn’t mean you can’t wake up to a tasty and nutritious breakfast. Overnight oats are a super easy breakfast meal that can be made in advance, ready to eat as soon as you wake up.
- Coconut milk (or any other milk option you prefer)
- Chia seeds
- Sweetener of choice (we love to add maple syrup, but honey or agave syrup are other great options)
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl
- Pour into a mason jar and screw on the lid (any cup or bowl will also do) and leave overnight to settle
- The next morning, add your choice of toppings ready to serve. Fresh or dried fruits and nuts are always a good option, or even a nut butter of your choosing for some added protein.
Tip: Make triple the portion size to have enough to last you for the week or maybe even two.
Chicken and Vegetable Bake:
With a few select ingredients you can put together a mouth-watering feed. Chicken, vegetables and pesto are all the ingredients you need to create an amazing oven bake. And what’s more, once it is in the oven, you can leave it to cook while you go and have that much needed downtime.
- Fresh mixed vegetables of your choice – as frozen veggies are hard to come by these days…
- Store bought pesto jar
- Place chicken and pesto in a bowl and mix together until the chicken is covered
- Chop vegetables, place in a baking dish and toss with olive oil
- Place chicken on top of vegetables and pour leftover pesto from the bowl on top
- Bake for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Tip: For a more filling meal add a side of salad or garlic bread.
Vegetable and Lentil Soup:
As cooler days slowly approach us, soups are the perfect quick and easy meal to give you a feeling of warmth and comfort. And the best thing about soups – you don’t really need a recipe! Once the broth base is made, you can add whatever ingredients suit your taste buds. Salt, pepper and herbs such as oregano and thyme are the perfect way to add some extra flavour. For a more hearty soup, ham or chicken can be a great addition.
- Any vegetables you have in the fridge (Yes, any!- some suggestions: broccoli, celery, carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, squash)
- Garlic cloves
- Can of beans and/or lentils
- Can of crushed tomatoes
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Heat oil in a pot, once it’s hot add garlic and saute until fragrant
- Place chopped vegetables in pot cook until slightly softened
- Stir in beans and/ or lentils and tinned tomatoes with vegetables
- Add broth and bring to boil
Tip: The best part is, you can always make extra and freeze it once it’s cooled down. For more space in your fridge, freeze the leftover vegetable and lentil soup in a zip lock bag.
We hope you enjoyed our easy, go-to meals! Feel free to leave us a comment of any other recipes you suggest. Stay safe.